“Human rights defenders are visionary agents of change. Some days, even with years of sobriety, you have to go back to basics. Open the curtains, look out the window, listen to the birds, make a cup of coffee. You put down the basket and walk out of the store. You come to and you’re sitting on the steps in front of Ralphs with some nice lady rubbing your back and handing you a bottle of water. The late “Friends” star was famous for his mighty struggle with addiction.
- It is also the book for you if you consider faith to be a necessary piece for the puzzle that addiction recovery entails.
- This inspiring story shows that it’s never too late to become substance-free and that it’s perfectly possible to achieve your dreams, no matter how old you are.
- I have to be present and I have to self-reflect and commit to being a better person for the people around me.
- Books and literature are a cornerstone in support groups and therapy.
Robin Cox is the Chief Financial Officer at Cumberland Heights, the Southeast’s premier alcohol and drug addiction treatment center. Robin accepted her role at Cumberland Heights in 2006. These 100 inspiring quotes can help everyone through each step on the road to recovery. This is the book for you if you’re looking for masterful prose. It is also the book for you if you consider faith to be a necessary piece for the puzzle that addiction recovery entails. This is a story of faith and love through the journey of recovery, more than just a tale from alcoholism to sobriety.
Sobriety Quotes – Quotes for Sobriety Anniversary
I didn’t have many friends and was very shy. I got drunk for the first time when I was 15. A friend invited me and another girl over to his house where his parents bought us alcohol.
Now when people ask, I tell them that it just doesn’t suit me… It doesn’t do anything for my spiritual state, my mental state, or my creative state. It takes from that and I don’t want to play with fire.
Encouraging Seekers of Recovery
I do not remember ever experiencing feelings as I do today. I recollect, even as a preteen, prior to my drinking career, not being able to feel sorrow at my Grandmother’s funeral, forcing myself to inspirational stories of sobriety cry just to fit in with the family. I made a conscious decision upon my graduation to stop smoking marijuana because of the possibility of jeopardizing my medical license if I were to get caught.
- As a child, Maria’s father encouraged her to fix things with him around the house and arranged tours of manufacturing facilities he visited on sales calls to satisfy her curiosity.
- From the JourneyPure team where we get to explore a wide variety of substance abuse- and mental health-related topics.
- I attended all my classes and did my assignments and readings.
- Previous research has shown that when we read stories, we can become so entrenched in them that it feels as though we’ve actually experienced it ourselves.
- Talk to our recovery specialists today and learn about our integrated treatment programs.
When author Kristi Coulter stopped drinking, she began to notice the way that women around her were always tanked, and how alcohol affected those around her. Author Erica Garza grew up in a strict Mexican household in East Los Angeles. She writes with evocative prose about the anxiety that fueled her addiction to masturbation as a young girl, and eventually, her sex and pornography addiction as an adult.
A Piece of Cake: A Memoir by Cupcake Brown
And I blacked out every single time I drank. When I was blacked out, I would fight friends, throw up on myself, and pee myself as well. I would be fine, drinking with my friends, then blackness. Then the next day started and I would pick up where I left off.
- However, what amazes me about this time is that it is 25,000 times the duration I could go at the end of my drinking career without having the need or the craving to have alcohol.
- Sarah Hepola’s evenings were always about drinking.
- Robin accepted her role at Cumberland Heights in 2006.
- Still, there is redemption at the end of the road as she details a complicated yet loving relationship with her parents, despite the odds.
- That siren song eventually led to broadcast journalist Elizabeth Vargas to admit her addiction on national television.
- They can allow individuals to relate to someone who has gone through a similar experience or can illustrate that recovery is possible.
She had already beat alcohol in the past and there was nothing wrong with celebrating the birth of her child with some champagne, right? That celebration threw her once again into the depths of alcoholism. For Caroline Knapp, as it is for many, alcohol was the protective friend that allowed her to get through life. Her protector became her lover and this is the memoir of their twenty-years-long destructive relationship. In this dark but incredibly comedic memoir, Smith tells all about her story and the road she finally took towards recovery from her perpetual numbing.
Every Year, A Refugee Thanks His Family’s Rescuer
One inspiring example of a turning point is John’s story. He struggled with substance abuse for years until a life-altering event made him realize he had hit rock bottom. With the support of a rehabilitation program, John embarked on a spiritual and emotional journey of self-discovery. Through therapy, counseling, and the guidance of peers, he was able to heal from his addiction and rebuild his life. Breaking the Stigma Around Addiction is crucial in addressing the challenges faced by individuals struggling with addiction.
At this point, Becki wasn’t committed to becoming substance-free, just staying warm and off the streets. To remain in treatment, though, she had to stay clean. This was initially responsible for her sobering up.